Neo-Marxism and Social Change
Religion can be used as a tool of resistance against to ruling classes and authentic expressions e.g. Martin Luther-King used Christianity to get race equality.
Some people now argue Media may now be a new tool of oppression because it stops us thinking to deeply.
- Religion is independent of the economic system.
- Religion can be used as a revolutionary force (Catholics in Latin America)
- Religion can help with protest to help the working classes rather than the oppression of them like the Marxists argue.
- Movement from the 1960's
- Latin America.
- Catholic Priests stood up against Dictatorships which left people in poverty.
- They listened to bible messages and stood up for the poor against social injustice.
Gramsci: Religion and Hegemony
- If the bourgeois can control your mind, religion can control your beliefs to stand up against something.
- Popular forms of religion help the working classes see hegemony of a fairer world through the working classes.
- Some religious people work as educators or organisers to help working class' peoples situation.
Evaluation of Neo-Marxism
- Shows how religion can help cause a revolution, and help bring about social change to stop inequality.
- Feminists would argue gender is a larger factor in oppression rather than social class & religion is used to oppress women.