SANCTITY OF LIFE
SANCTITY vs QUALITY
HOLY/SEPARATE/SET APART VALUE OF LIFE IS TO DO WITH
EXTERNAL EXTRINSIC FACTORS
CREATED UNIQUELY BY GOD
NOT VALUABLE IN ITSELF
"CREATED IN THE IMAGE OF GOD"
ROMAN CATHOLICS - Life begins at conception ABSOLUTE MORALITY
Take life is wrong
Viewed as sin PRO-LIFE
'You shall not murder'
Accept Doctrine of double effect
CHURCH OF ENGLAND - Opposes Abortion
Morally acceptable in certain cases
Must be lesser of two evils RELATIVE MORALITY
METHODIST - Opposes Abortion PRO-CHOICE
Lesser of two evils (social circumstance included)
SANCTITY OF LIFE - 'I chose you before I gave you life'
PERSONHOOD - what it means to be a human
NO! - Against Laws in the UK (Allowed in some countries like Netherlands)
FOR - prevent pain HOSPICES - Christian responce
don't want to be a burden Offers care and support
cost to get well priests and ministers
rights of the individual
AGAINST - open to abuse RCC + COE AGAINST
pain can be controlled - Life is sacred
doctors viewed differently - Doctrine of double effect accepted
SOL IN FAVOUR (Christians)
- Loving action
- compassion shown by Jesus
DR ANNE TURNER
CHRISTIANS SAY NO
- Life is sacred
- God choses when humans are born and when they die
- Suffering can bring you closer to God
- Against 6th commandment
- St Paul "Body is a temple of the holy spirit"
- selfish - causes pain for those left behind
Was a serious crime in the past
Was thought of as a serious sin - no burial on holy ground
SAMARITANS - Christian organisation that helps the suicidal
GIFT OR RIGHT
Non-religious - natural population control
- Life begins at conception
- God's choice
- Introduces thrid party - adultery
- What happens to embryos?
- Hannah in old testement - God "closes her womb"]
- bring happiness
- God gives skills
- "Be fruitful and increase in number"
- Agape - selfless love (Christian)
ANIMAL TESTING (VIVISECTION)
ACCEPT - RCC + CofE
- produces life saving drugs (polio, diabetes, heart transplant)
- however cruelty is unacceptable "Scientists must abandon labs and factories of death"
- God made a covenant with humans and animals
- Both created by God
- Animals have souls
STEWARDSHIP (responsible/look after)
- animals don't have a soul
REASONS TO SUPPORT
- humans most important
- we have souls "God breathed into his nostrils the breath of life"
- humans can have relationship with God
- "Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air"
rule - do what you want or protect and look after?
REPRODUCTIVE CLONING - artificially producing a duplicate animal or organism
THERAPEUTIC CLONING - clone to replace body parts or replace diseased cells
- wrong to use human being or any part of them
- concequences are unknown - possibility of cancers etc
- human life is sacred
- embryo is a human being - potential
- playing God
- embryos destroyed
- bring benefits to humans
- embryo (cluster of shells) does not count as a human