Bringing back shoppers
CBD was hub, however decline due to out of town centres, and crime increases.
Strategies for redevelopment:
- Pedestrian zones to make area more attractive, adding vegetaion and benches etc.
- Redeveloping shopping malls.
- Street markets to improve atmosphere.
- Public transport imporved to reduce congestion.
- CCTV and security to reduce crime.
- Opening hours longer
- Conserve historic buildings.
- Cafes bars and restaurants
- Free cultural entertainment
- Theme areas, Gay village Manchester
- Residential property is developed
Manchester city redevlopment
- 1975 Armdale centre was built, to bring people back to city centre to shop
- 1996, IRA bombed Armdale centre
- Repairs were done and redevelopment was done mainly in worst affected areas.
1)Old buildings rennovated
2)Upmarket department stores opend
3)Large areas were pedestrianised
4)New shops bars and luxury appartment opend
- Population doubled to over 19000 people between 2003-09
- Manchester became 3rd most popular tourist destination in UK
- £5billion from tourists each year
- Retail in city centre made an extra £300 million each year
Issue is 16% of population is on low income and cannot afford the area.