Reasons for early American involvement.
Economic and Ideological reasons:
- Communism is a threat to the US trade and Democracy.
- Therefore a threat to the safety and wellbeing of America.
- Truman feared expansion and conflict from Communism
- Into China and East Europe, Greece, Iran, Turkey.
- Truman believed Ho Chi Minh would become puppet to Russian Gov. Kremlin.
US Hostility to China
- 1949 Communist revolution under Chairman Maos, illustrated Communist expansion in Asia.
Reasons for early American involvement #2
McCarthy Hysteria and Korean War
- In 1950, Senator Joseph McCarthy began whipping up a frenzy; fear of communists in the USA.
- In the Korean War, China poured troops into Korea, and American fears of Chinese expansion were confirmed.
Value of French
- Even before the Korean War, America conclued that the French were invaluable allies against communism in Indochina and Europe.
- France was also very important to the stability of NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organisation)
By the end of 1950, The USA had given France $100million, aircraft, patrol boats, napalm bombs, and ground combat machinery. Truman had got the USA involved in French dominated Vietnam.