- The rate of reaction measures the speed of a reaction or how fast it is.
Rate of reaction= amount of reactant used/time
amount of product formed/time
- An average rate of reaction can be found by measuring the time it takes for a certain amount of solid to appear in a solution.
- If a gas is given off in the reaction, its average rate can be found by measuring the time taken to collect a certain amount of gas.
The rate of a reaction at any given time can be found from the Gradient, or slope of the line on a graph of amount of reactant or product against time. The steeper the gradient is, the faster the reaction is at that time.
More Reaction Rates
The rate of an reaction depends on 4 things:
2. Concentration - (or pressure for gases)
4. Surface area of solid - (or size of solid pieces )