- Created by: Hannah Silverwood
- Created on: 22-05-11 13:46
Unit 1-Rights and responsibilities
- Conscience- Inner feeling of the rightness or wrongness of an action.
- Social change- The way society has changed and is changing.
- Pressure groups- A group formed to influence government policy on an issue.
- Democratic process- The ways all citizens can take part in government through elections
- Electoral process- The ways voting is organised.
- Human rights- The rights and freedom that everyone's entitled to.
What do Christians turn to for advice?
Bible, Church, Situation Ethics, Conscience.
The golden rule: treat people how you want to be treated.
Unit 2-Environmental and medical issues
- IVF- Fertilising a human egg in a test tube.
- Stewardship- Looking after something so it can be used in future generation.
- Surrogacy- Woman bears child for another woman.
- Embryo- Fertilzed egg in first 8 weeks after conception.
- Artificial insemination- Injecting semen into the uterus by artificial means.
- Conservation- Protecting and preserving natural resources.
- Global warming- Increase in temperature of earth's atmosphere.
Kyoto protocol: UN treaty signed by 175 countries to reduce greenhouse gases+ help slow down global warming.
Christians +Muslims both think we are borrowing earth from God so have to look after it.
Khalifah= Allah's steward
Unit 3- Peace and conflict
- Conflict resolution- Methods of addressing the sources of conflict.
- Just war- A just war can only be fought to redress wrong suffering.
- Pacifism- A commitment to peace, the opposite of war/violence.
- United nations- countries brought together to avoid war.
- Weapons of mass destruction
- Holy war- A war declared in support of a religious cause.
Christians +Muslims think a just war must be a last resort and must only bring out good.There must also be a reasonable chance of success.