Why do wars occur?
religion - often religious differences:
- If followers of a religion are treated badly (Kosovo & serbia)
- If a small area of a country is another religion
- Differences of beliefs (taliban in afganistan attacks other muslims)
Nationality and Ethnicity
- belief that each seperate ethnic group should have its own country
- Belief that ethnic groups should be removed
- Countries created artificialy - tension with ethnic groups
- access to oil reserves
- Conflict over jobs
Ideological and political differences
- Democratic Republic of Congo - 2 different political groups fighting
- North korea and south korea
Why do Christians believe in pacifism
Pacifism - never fight in a war, war is wrong
- jesus said - love your enemies and turn the other cheek if atacked
- the 5th commandment is do not kill
- when jesus was being arrested jesus told peter not to fight back
- innocent peopole are killed in war
- peace can only come when people refuse to fight
- Modern warfare affects so many inocent people - cannot be justified
Why can Christians fight in just wars?
- it is the Teaching of most churches
- jesus did not condem soldiers; he praised the faith of a roman centurion
- Paul - Christians should obey the orders of the state.
- Armed forces are needed to protect innocent states from criminal ones
What are the Islamic teaching on war
peace is the ideal for Muslims, However muslims can still fight in wars.
Lesser jihad - holy war - only as a last resort
- The Quran says muslims must fight if they are attacked .
- Muhammad Fought in wars
- Muhammad said that muslims should fight in just wars
- The Qur'an says those that die in jihad will go straight to heaven
some muslims feel that modern weapons means there can not be a just war and they oppose war
Why do Christians oppose bullying
- aggresion or violence without a just cause is sinful
- People are made in Gods image part of Gods creation - bulling is wrong as it is mistreating Gods creation
- Duty to protect the weak and the innocent - Parable of the Good samaritan
- Jesus taught to treat everyone in trouble as if it was jesus
- Protect humman rights - taugfht by all christian churches
- Harmful effects on society
why is Islam opposed to bullying?
- society is based on respect - bullies have no respect
- Use of violence without a cause is sinful
- Any muslim who bullies another muslim goes against the ummah (every muslim is a brother to another muslim
- Duty to protect the weak and the innocent
- Humman rights are denied
Religious conflicts within famalies
Children no longer wanting to take part in there parents religion- causes conflict
- religion tells parents to bring up children in there faith
- Parent worry they will not see there children in the affter life
Children wanting to marry a partner from a different religion
- which religion do you bring up the children?
Children becoming more religious than there parents
- if the child criticises the parent
- forces the parent to be more religious ( read the bible)
Disagreements over moral issues
- having an abortion
- if divorce and remarrage occurs
what are the views on Christianity and forgiveness
Christians believe in reconciliation because:
- Jesus died on the cross to bring reconcilliation and forgiveness
- Jesus told peter to forgive people up to 77 times
- Jesus said if christians do not forgive they will not be forgiven themselves
- Paul said everyone should try to live in peace with everyone
- all christian churches teach this to bring an end to conflict
What are the views on Islam and forgiveness?
Muslims believe that they should be forgiving and try to bring about reconciliationbecause:
- God is compasionate and merciful to sinners, so they should be forgiving.
- How canmuslims ask for God's frogiveness on the last day if they are not prepared to forgive
- The Qur'an says Muslims should forgive those who offend them.
- Muhammad said that Muslims should be forgiving.
Muslims should not forgive those working against Islam