Using the Bible for Moral Decisions
- The Bible records Jesus' life = shows how Christians should behave.
- Contains God's teachings - the Decalogue = clear moral guidance.
- Bible is the word of God = God's ultimate guidance and absolute authority.
- The Bible was authenticated by God = eensures they meet God's approval on their actions.
1 of 8
Using the Church for Moral Decisions
- Church is the body of Christ = the Church works in the same way Jesus did in society.
- God speaks to the world through the Church.
- By following the Church, Christians can be confident that they are doing the right thing.
- Church is the community of Christian believers which is guided by God.
2 of 8
Using Conscience for making Moral Decisions
- Chruch says to follow your conscience as if it is the voice of God.
- God speaks to Christians, so the conscience is like the voice of God speaking to individuals.
- St Paul taught that Christians should use their conscience.
- Teachings of Church and Bible are not directly from God but their conscience is God speaking directly to individuals.
- If everyone followed their conscience instead of laws then life would be chaotic.
- People have been mistaken about the voice of God, so you can be mistaken about your conscience.
3 of 8
Using Situation Ethics for Moral Decisions
- Jesus appeared to follow situation ethics
- Christianity is the religion of love and forgiveness
- Believe that Jesus' statement that the only laws are to love God and love your neighbour as yourself
- It is wrong to ignore the cppnsequences of your actions - you should only do what will produce good results
4 of 8
- Right to life, Freedom of Thought, Conscience and Religion, Freedom of Expression, Right to an Education, Right to vote.
Human Rights are important:
- Without HR's, you could be living in a dictatorship as opposition to leaders have been unfairly imprisoned.
- Without the right to freedom of thought and expression, minority religions and political parties could be banned.
- Without the right to take part on free elections, there would be no democracy.
Human Rights are not important:
- People abuse HR laws.
- In a democracy you do not need HR as people can vote for what they want.
- You are ought to be able to torture terrorists to find out where they have planted bombs as this will save innocent lives.
5 of 8
Human Rights and Christianity
Human Rights are important to Christians:
- Right to life - sancity of life
- All people are made in the image of God and are on human family
- Equality of human family is shown in Jesus' teachings
- HR's are important as C's believe in justice and HR's are a fundamental part of justice
Why Human Rights can cause problems:
- Many against the right to form civil partnerships and believe they have the right to descriminate.
- Some are against the right to marry someone from a different faith = believe they have the right to discriminate
- Some are agianst the right for homosexuals to raise a family.
- Possible problmes for catholic church if women use HR laws to become a priest
6 of 8
Why voting is important
- UK is a democracy = over 18 measn they have the right to vote.
- New laws can affect our lives - we have a say
- How can you complain if you do not vote
- Women fought for our vote
Why voting isnt important
- Things often end up the same
- Only the majoritys voice gets heard
- One among millions of voters
- Not trained to organise a country so we dont know whats best
7 of 8
- Christian views
- Jesus was a healer
- Improving life is something God wants us to do as his stewards
- Creating cures/preventing disease is working with God
- Embryos cannot be human until they are 14 days old
- God created the genetic make up, we have no right to interfere with God
- GE is playing God
- Wrong to try and mkae the earth perfect
- Killing an embryo is killing a human life - life begins at conception
- Non religious
- Offers cures for incurable diseases
- Cloning using animal eggs does not involve a loss of human life
- GE is closely monitered by the law
- Through cloning, healthy cells have been produced to cure diseases
- Too little information aout long term consequences
- Effects would be irreversible if anything went wrong
- Places too much power in the hands of scientists - master race
- Treats the human body as a commodity
8 of 8