- Created by: Chinni008
- Created on: 09-12-18 13:34
Peace and Justice
- Isaiah 2:4 - God will bring peace and justice to the world in the future
1 of 12
- All religous promote peaceful protest not violent
- Martin Luther King
- Monk Ghosanda
2 of 12
- 'To inflame, to divide' - Tony Blair
- 'I shall respond to hatred with my ceaseless love' - Buddhism
- Promotes Hate - 3 Poisons
- Breaks Ahimsa and 10 commandments
- 'Love thy neighbor'
3 of 12
Reasons for War: Greed
- 'Love of money is the root of all evil'
- 'A greedy man stirs up strife'
- 3 poison
4 of 12
Reasons for War: Self Defence -Christianity
- WW2, UK defended itself
- Christians- self defence is acceptable if all other option tried first
- 'eye for an eye'
- 'Turn the other cheek'
- 'blessed are the peacemakers'
5 of 12
Reasons for War: Self Defence-Buddhism
- Killing never justified
- Develop Metta
- Thich Naht Hanh- wouldn't fight to ensure buddhism survived
- Dalai Lama instructed buddhists not to fight back when China invaded Tibet in 1959
- Breaks Ahimsa
6 of 12
Just War Criteria
- Proper Authority
- Just Cause
- Reasonable Chance of Success
- Last Resort
- Beneficial Outcome
7 of 12
- Crusades- 11th and 14th
- Buddhist Monks supported War against China & Korea to ensure the survival of Buddhism - 20th Century
- 'All who live by the sword die by the sword'
8 of 12
- Conscientious objector
- Just war theory - not pacifists
- 'Eye for an eye' - NP
- 'Love thy neighbor' - Protect allies - NP
- 'turn the other cheek'
- 'Blessed are the peacemakers'
- Quakers are pacifists- Friend's ambulance unit
- 'All who live by the sword, die by the sword'
9 of 12
- Ahimsa/ 1st precept - strongly promote pacifism
- 'Victor creates hostility, defeated dwells in sorrow'
- Thich Naht Hanh
10 of 12
Responses to victims of war
- Short Term aid e.g. food/medicine/shelter
- Long Term aid e.g. Support, Education, Employment, Legal Help
- Christian Aid
- Red Cross - 97 millon volunteers
- Karuna Trust- Prevents discrimination of dalit people
11 of 12
- WW2 - some say ended war/some disaggree
- weapons mass destruction include biological and chemical
- Thou shall not murder/ Ahimsa- 1 st precept
- Sancity of life
- Buddhists believe its the hatred behind nuclear weapons that is dangerous
- 'For peace..not to remove nuclear weapons but the fear, anger and suspicion in us'- Thich Naht Hanh
12 of 12