Why the UN works for wolrd peace
The UN can stop any threats to wolrd peace by:
- Imposing sanctions on countries threatening world peace.
- Authorising the use of force by memeber states
- Sending a UN peacekeeping force to: prevent outbreak of conflict, stabilise confict situations, bring about a stable governemnt and help to make peace agreeements work.
Example of the UN's work = Kosovo
- The UN tried to negotiate a deal over Kosovo but Milosevic rejected it.
- In 1999, the UN took control of Kosovo, giving the people their protection.
How religious organisations try to promote world p
Main groups promoting world peace:
- Christian Peacemaker team teams
- The Muslim Peace Fellowship
- The Jewish Peace Fellowship
- Pax Christi International
What they do:
- Organise meetings so people learn the horrors of war & vote for policitcal parties working for peace.
- Organise protests about war to change public opionion & governements policys
- Work for economic justice & worldwide acceptance of human rights
- Organise & attend interfaith conferences to help all religions work together to promote world peace.
Causes of War
- Religion or Religious differences (2 religious groups claim one area as their God)
- Differences about ideas and politics (if one group holds strong views on certain issues and try to enforce these views on other countries can cause wars)
- Arguments about money and resources (world economy can cause conflicts if one country has a resource another country needs)
- Nationalism and ethnicity (an ethnic group within a country is much larger than other groups, they can favour their own group over anther, which can cause the minority groups fighting civil wars)
A Just War is:
- Lead by legimate authoirty, has a just intention, begun as a last resort, weapons and methods are used in a just proportion to the cause
- Many believe that on occasion, war may be an inevitable means of securing peace:
- Jesus said 'Give to Caesar what is Caesar's' suggesting Christians should obey the gov.
- Christian leaders state Christians have the right to fight in just wars.
- Christians believe if we need police to protect innocent people against criminals then we need armed forces to protect innocent states against criminal ones.
Christian & Muslim attitudes to war
Most Christians are pacifists
- The 6th commandment says 'You shall not Kill'
- Jesus stopped Peter from using violence when he was being arrested
- Jesus taight to love your enemies and taught hisfollowers to 'turn the other cheek' and not retailiate.
- The first 300 years of Christianity, Christians refused to fight in wars
Most Muslims believe that if a war is just then a Muslim should fight in it because:
- The Qur'an teaches that Muslims must fight if they are attacked
- Muhammaed himself fought in wars
- The Hadith permits justifiable wars
- The Qur'an teaches anyone who dies in a just war will go directly to heaven.
Why do people bully?
Problems at home, been a victim of bullying themselves, low self asteem, jealousy.
Christian Attitudes (see bullying as wrong):
- The Golden Rule
- Christinans believe people are made in the image of God, bullying is an assult against God.
- Using violence without a just cause is sinful, therefore bullying is sinful
- The duty of Christians is to protect the weak and innocent, and bullying is the opposite.
Muslim Attitudes (see bullying as wrong):
- Islam teaches that every member of the Muslim community should be treated equally and Muslims should act like brothers
- The Qur'an teaches to protect the vulnerable in society
- Islam teaches that it is the duty of Muslims to protect the weak and innocent, and bullying is the oppsoite
- Islam regards using violence without a just cause as sinful, therefore bullying is sinful.
Conflicts within a family
Non religious causes:
- Parents refusing to accept childs choice of partner
- Moral issues like divorce, cohabitation, abortiom.
- A family members choice of religion
- Siblings disagreeing as children or as adults
- Children no longer want to follow their parents religion
- Mixed faith marriages
- Children being more religious than their parents causes parents to worry about fundamentalism
- Divorce or abortion can cause issues due to religious beliefs.
Christian & Muslim attitudes to forgiveness
All Christians teach that forgiveness and reconciliation are necessary to end conflict:
- Jesus told Peter not to forgive 7 times but 70 times 7.
- St Paul teaches that Christians should live in peace with everyone.
- Jesus told parables about the importance of forgiveness and reconciliation
- The Lord's prayers asks God to forgive our sins, so if we can expect God to forgive us then we should forgive others.
Islam teaches that Allah is forgiving:
- Muslims should be merciful as Allah is merciful towards them
- The Qur'an states that if a perosn forgives, his reward will be from God.
- There are many sayings of the Hadith stating Muslims should forgive others
- However, a Muslim must not forgive those who are working agaisnt Islam.