- Candy is old, weak and disabled.
- He is the oldest ranch hand, he lost his hand in an accident at work.
- He is the "swamper" the man who cleans the bunkhouse.
- He knows he will be thrown out and 'put on the county' when he is too old to work.
- He accepts what goes on because he doesn't want to lose his job.
- He has a very old dog, which he had from a pup and it is his only friend and companion.
- He is lonely and isolated.
- He makes friends with George and Lennie and offers his compensation money to help them all to buy a ranch together and achieve their dream.
- When he finds Curley's Wife dead, he is furious as he knows instantly that Lennie was involved and that they have lost their chance of achieving their dream.
Candy's Key Quotes.
- " The old man came slowly in to the room"
- " Candy feeds him milk. He can't chew nothing else."
- " Why'n't you get Candy to shoot his old dog?"
- " Had him since he was a pup. I herded sheep with him"
- " I don't mind takin' care of him"
- " I ain't much good with o'ny one hand."
- "Jus' as soon as I can't swamp out no bunk houses they'll pu tme on the county."
- " I'll be on our own place, and I'll be let to work on our own place."
- " When they can me here I wisht somebody'd shoot me."
It seems a bit odd that Candy offers George and Lennie all his money so quickly, but it just shows how desperate he is to get off the ranch and own something of his own. It's a shame it all comes to nothing...
Candy suffers PREJUDICE because of his AGE and his DISABILITY.