No 58 from Bach's St John Passion - 'All Is Fulfil
- Bm, about Jesus dying on the cross
- Obbligato Viola Da Gamba
- Falling motif 'All is fulfilled
- Sparse texture, voice interjected by viola
- Augmentation of interval on 'O Hope' - perfect 5th - major 6th, crying out/desperation
- B section in D - relative major, sense of triumph
- Syllabic vocal line 'the lion of Judah fought the fight'
- Rising sequential bass line
- Now in fast triple time
- Contrasting, fuller texture
- Arpeggiated, driving strings in 3rds, high violin trill - agitation
- Rising melisma on 'prevailed' and 'fight'
- Ends with unaccompanied voice on 'it is finished' - alone and final, no return to the A section because that is the end - he dies.
1 of 2
Purcell - Hark! Each Tree, Ode for St Cecilia's Da
- Praising the wood used to make violins and flutes, praising St Cecilia the patron saint of music
- Instrumentation flute and violins playing in 3rds and sixths
- Antiphony between the two sections
- Long melisma on the words 'silence breaks'
- Long notes on 'hark'
- Violins play joyful, springtly semiquavers on the words 'sprightly violin'
- Passage of imitation between the violins
- Flutes play long, flowing melody on 'flute distinctly speaks'
- Ascending, florid melodic line on 'with leafy wings they flew'
2 of 2