AIMS + CONTEXT OF MILGRAM
- Milgram is JEWISH
- Interested by the nazi soldiers defence at the NUREMBURG TRIALS after the HOLOCAUST..."just following orders"
- The theory that GERMANS ARE DIFFERENT was suggested.. Authoritarian Personality
- ARENDT proposed that Eichmann (creator of the final solution) was just a "cog in the machine"
Milgram wanted to...
- test the proposal that "germans are different"
- see if ORDINARY PEOPLE would obey authority even when requested to injure another person
1 of 5
LANGER + RODIN PROCEDURE
- 91 residents aged 65 - 90 from a high quality nursing home in CONNETICUT
- RESPONSIBILTY INDUCED GROUP (RIG)
8 males 39 females in this condition (4th floor)
- TRADITIONAL GROUP (CG)
9 males 35 females in this condition (2nd floor)
- Both groups given a STANDARDISED MESSAGE by the nursing home administrator before the experiment started
- Residents were ASSESSED one week BEFORE the experiment and 3 weeks AFTER
- nurses (rated how happy, alert, dependent, sociable & active residents were
- patients (how dependant they felt)
- Occupational Therapist measured behaviours; eg attendance to a movie.
2 of 5
FINDINGS + CONCLUSIONS RAHE MAHAN + ARTHUR
- THE ONLY SIGNIFICANT RELATIONSHIP WAS BETWEEN the LCU score for the six months immediately prior to departure and the illness score... It had a positive correlation of +0.118
- THIS CORRELATION WAS MORE APPARENT IN.. the married men category as opposed to the young single sailors
- OVERALL TOTALS WERE CALCULATED BY putting the p's LCU score in order of low - high and splitting the list into ten bands
- LCU BANDS 1&2... had a mean illnes rating of 1.405
- LCU BANDS 9&10... had a mean illness rating of 2.066
- Higher LCU's in the six moths prior to their departure resulted on higher illness rates onboard.
- When pre departure LCU was low, so were on board illness rates.
- HOWEVER..stressful on board experiences increase on board illness ratings for the whole crew
- The link is stonger for older men
3 of 5
EVALUATE METHODOLOGY OF ASCH
- variables are easily controlled
- standardised procedure
- trivial test: no desire to voice own opinion
- subject to demand characteristics and experimenter bias
- lacks internal validity, not all p's would believe it's"perception" study.
- 123 p's good sanoke size
- ETHNO and ANDRO centric
- Decieved participants of the aim.. no informed consent
- Pressure of dissagreeing with a group distressing
4 of 5
ALTERNATIVE EVIDENCE OF LOFTUS + PALMER
5 of 5
Similar Psychology resources: