A experiment conducted in a controlled environment which tends to be high in terms of internal validity as extraneous variables are controlled.
- Easily replicated
- Has high internal validity
- Often less time consuming than other methods (interviews)
- Artificial and lacks realism
- Participants are aware of the experiments therefore may show demand characteristics
- Experimenter may change the behaviour of the participants- experimenter bias
An experiment conducted in a more natural envrionment studying behaviours.
- Can still manipulate a variable to see cause and effect
- Higher ecological validity