Assumptions: Behaviour is determined by how the mind processes information. Covers memory, language and language acquisition.
Strengths: - Much research uses lab experiments, controlled conditions = "cause and effect" relationships.
- Knowing details of cognivitve problems can help those with cognitive problems
- One of approaches that account for important basic faculties, eg. memory
- Practial application: Loftus' work on memory- improved police questioning techniques, and Barcon Cohens- deal with and help autistics.
Weaknesses: - lab experiments- ecological validity, eg Loftus and Palmer - dont experience real crash, Baron cohen- not normally see eyes static and not in colour, demand characterisitcs - Loftus and Palmer.
- difficult to measure, complex mental activity - Savage Rambaugh.
- humans minds more than machines-emotions, memory may be affected by shock