- There is a part of us which we are not aware of in the unconscious mind.
- We use defence mechanisms to hide our fears to the world.
- It takes a holistic view as it tries to look at the person as a whole - Thigpen and Cleckley - looked at her behaviour through memory, IQ, inkblot, hypnosis, backfound and childhood.
- It is useful as the therapy helps people with their difficulties - Freud - resolved problems with father - complex problems can be solved with support.
- Very subjective as it is based on opinions of the psychiatrist who may be biased. - Thigpen and Cleckley - Freud - the beahviour was interpreted from the psychiatrists point of view.
- The qualitative data is difficult to analyse - Freud - Thigpen and Cleckley - through spoken words and interviews - the results are hard to compare and see the ture meanings at a glance.