Prohibition (can be seen as a failed plan)
- 1919- 18th Amendment to the constitution made manufacture, sale and transport of Alcahol illegal.
- It failed because:
- Not enough police to enforce the law, also many accepted bribes
- Drinking continued in 'speakeasies' (illegal bars)
- Moonshine (illegaly made alcahol)
- Bootlegging (smuggling alcahol for sale)
- It made ordinary people into criminals
- Violence and crime through gangsters of illegal trade increased-it was very profitable.
- Some illegaly made alcahol had adverse affects on the people for example some caused internal bleeding which killed a lot of people.
- 21st Amendmant caused the end of prohibition (it proved that it failed)
- But it succeeded in:
- Consumption of alcahol fell even after the end of prohibition
- 50 million litres of illegal alcahol was dicovered and destroyed
- Eliot Ness and the Untouchables were recognised as high standad police.
1 of 1