Idea's fron other designers
Retro styling- basically taking designs from the 'old ages' and producing them with modern electronic components inside.
Natural form and pattern- Major influences of product design. Patterns from nature are often used by designers
CAM- Computer aided manufacturing & CAD- Computer
CAM relies on data known as machine code. It is numerical data which explains why the machinery used for CAM is often called CNC (computer numerical control).
CAM Computer Aided Manufacturing this is for manufacturing
CAD Computer Aided Design this is for designing..... 2D design
Paper and Board
- Tiny chips of wood are cooked in water and chemicals to create a mushy pulp
- The pulp is then poured over a fine mesh. As the water drains away the cellulose fibres, which are less than 1mm in length, naturally link together when they touch
- It is then passes through a set of rollers in the paper machine to remove the remaining excess water amd thus the web of fibres become stronger.
Board is made in the same way but to turn it from paper to board it will need several layers of pulp.
Timber- Hardwoods and Softwoods
Timber is the name given generally for wood materials: there are 3 main types of timber:
- These come from decidious or broad leafed trees.
- Slow growing which tends to make them harder
- Usually sold by the cubic meter
- These come from coniferous trees which have needles rather than leaves
- Grow faster and usually softer to work with
- These are timber sheets which are made either gluing layers or wood fibres together
Ferrous Metals- Mostly consist of iron and small quantites of other elements and metals. Ferrous metals are prone to rusting if exposed to moisture and can be picked up by a magnet
Non- Ferrous metals- Dont contain any iron at all. Therefore do not rust when exposed to moisture and are not attracted to a magnet. Zinc, aluminium, tin