- Created by: aimeestewxrt
- Created on: 17-02-19 19:29
Processes of Erosion
Attrition - collision of rock fragments against one another. rocks are broken into smaller pieces and become smoother as process continues.
Hydraulic Action - form of mechanical weathering causes by the force of water.
Corrasion- grinding of rock fragments carried by a river against the bed and banks of a river. this causes the river to widen and deepen.
Solution - process by which river water chemically reacts with soluble minerals in rocks and dissolves them.
Processes of Transportation and Depositio
Traction - rolling of large rocks alone the river bed. requires a lot of energy.
Saltation - bouncing of medium sized load ( small pebbles, stones ) alone the river bed.
Suspension - smallest load ( sand and clay ) is held up continually within the river water.
Solution - soluble minerals dissolve in the water and are carried.
Processes of deposition
Deposition likely if...
- river enters a lake or the sea, slowing its flow.
- area of shallow water, slowing the river flow.
- the river floods onto its flood plain, where it flows slowly.
- load is increased suddenly eg after a landslide.