Mahad Taluka a region of Maharashira state in India. On the Arabian Sea Coast of Mumbai
What is the Pride Project?
PLANNING RURAL- URBAN DEVELOPMENT THROUGH EDUCATION
Poor People are those with an income of less than $1 per day.
525 million people in India fall under the definition of poor.
- Very low living conditions.
- 50% of people below Indian poverty line.
- 78% of people are in extreme poverty.
- Difficult to reslove as 70% of these people are farmers and 87% of farmers own less than 2 hectares of land.
- Almost half of the population are under 14 years old making living hard for families.
- 70% of people are illiterate.
- 25% infant mortality rate.
Solutions by PRIDE
- Reduce mass migration from rural to urban areas.
- Plan, organise and work through training towards self sufficiency and sustainable development of communities.
- Pre- school education centres for 2.5 to 5.5 year olds. Providing job opportunities for locals.
- Study Centres
- Larger fund for childrens education to be repaid later. Making travelling distances less.
- Bicylces provided for those who have to travel.
- 100 adult education centres, libaries and book banks.
- 200 toilets for better sanitation.
- Encouragement to use smokeless stoves and bio-gas plants.
- Many new trees planted.
- Youth clubs for boys and girls to develop practical skills.
- Children under 5 given vitamin A and and are immunised against diarrhoea.
- Essential medicine for free.
- Kitchens where nutrious meals are prepared.
- Loans available.
- Irrigation systems set up.
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT HAS CHANGED TO ALLOW SUSTAINABLE LIVLIHOODS