- Anti Catholic
- More Preaching
- Promote Godly Behaviour
- Reform Church from within
- Compromise over Adiaphora
- "Tarry for the Magistrate"
- Unwilling to conform
- Immediate reform in Calvinist belief
- Structural reform. No Bishops
- No Compromise
- Immediate religious independence
- No Church structure
Initially little open oppossition until the Vesterian contrversy.
1570 -Carthwright. Prof of Divinity at Cambridge. Calls for Puritanism
1571- Book and Bill. New Prayer Book H of C. Eliz Vetos
1572- Field won't wear his surplice. Imprisoned.
1575- Grindal becomes archbishop of Canterbury.
Elizabeth orders Grindal to stop Puritains Prophesysing (Puriatins meeting to preach and discuss theology) NOT ADIAPHORA
Eliz against it. Disunity and Seperatism.
1576- Eliz order Grindal tos top it He says No. "you are a mortal creature to" put under house arrest till his death in 1583. Just turns Puritains against Eliz. Creating a power vacum at teh top.
1582 - First National Synod.
1583- Becomes Arch of Cant. Supports Church Settlement against Puritains.
Enforce Royal Supremacy, 39 Artciles. 400 + Clergy say no Leicster and Cecil say no. "savouring too much off the Spanish Inquisistion"
Is Presbytrian threat a failure?
- No effective leadership
- Death of lead supporters-Leicster and Field
- Bancroft linked Presbytrianism with Seperatism.
- Hackett- Claimed to be the new Messiah. Lost Credibility.