The amount of energy harnessed from a cell depends on the amount of light intensity and therefore the climate and also the angle at which the cell is at.
The angle of incidence and light intensity can be meausred using a directional light meter. This can be electronic or made at home. The pencil shows the angle of incidence and the tube represence light intensity. An electronic machine can only be relied on if it has been callobrated.
Light scatter cannot be meaured using parabolic mirros as they are not in parallel lines.
Wind power has many locational factors:
- Distance from the ground
- Aspect in relation to prevaling winds
- Nearby trees or buildings which could get damaged
- Habitats and protected sites
- How far away from the consumer the energy is and how it will be travelled
Amount of water is controlled by the :
- Amount lost as evaporation and transpiration
- All of which are effected by the climate
- We can measure the effect of temperature, wind speed and humidity on evaportation rates
Factors affecting heat loss
Heat is lost from buildings, furnances and heat stores. Reducing this heat loss reduces the waste and therefore increases efficiency.
The thicker the materials, the lower the thermal conductivty the lower the rate of heat loss. Each additional layer however reduces the efficiency and is less protective than the previous one.
The heat energy is lost through the external layer. As the surface area to volume ratio increases the more heat is loss. We need a small surface area large volume.
When investigating we need to looks at material, 3D shape, colour, darkness and experimental conditions such as room temperature. All must be standardised before invetigated.
Atmospheric pollution and lichens
Always mention sulphur dioxide:
- Use lichens as they are sensitive to acidic enviornments
- Monitor the environment they are in (dissolved oxygen levels)
- The distribution of lichens
- The reproductive rates
- Death rate
- The population size
- Colour of them
Always choose random areas rather than specific. Can be many in one city or town and monitor the difference from one that experiences acid rain and one that does not.