Poverty in the UK: Keywords
Wealth - a large amount of money or investments
Poverty - being without dood, money or other basic needs of life
Debt - situation where a person or organisation owes more money then they posses
Excessive salaries - when someone earns huge amounts of money eg footballer
Poverty trap - a person who is trapped in poverty as they don't have the skills, qualifications or jobs to get out
Poverty in the UK: Keywords
Minimum wage - £6.08
Personal wealth - how much you are worth
Tithe - Christian 10% every month, voluntary
Voluntary Sadaqh - Muslims encouraged to give more than Zakat
Zatak - 2.5% every year for muslims to give, not voluntary
Poverty in the UK: Basic needs of life and Other
Basic Needs of life
- Human rights
- Health Care
The Parable of the poor widow
- Gave less than everybody else as she was the poorest but Jesus said she had given more than the rich
The Parable of the Sheep and Goat
- The man who helped everyone
Poverty in the UK: Who cares? and Other
- Local authorities - social workers, pratical support
- Charities & religious organisations - Salvation army, NSPCC
- Depend on people to fund them
- Families - relatives should look after each other
- Lack of education
- Poor Health
- Broken families
- Poor housing
- ALL LINK UP
Poverty in the UK: Lottery
- 28p from every pound goes to charity
- Over £21 billion have been given to charities
- Extra volantary tax paid by the poor in the hope of getting rich
- Unsiutable people winning
- Callie Rogers (case study) who spent 1.9 million on drugs
Poverty in the UK: Religious Beliefs
- Majority against gambling altough some churches have accepted lottery winnings for charity
- The parable of the poor widow and the parable of the sheep and goat
- Money is a blessing from God
- It should be shared with the poor
- They tithe (give 10%) to church or charity each month
- Raise money for charity
- Build riches in heaven, not on earth
- Taught to look after their money responsibly
- Completely against gambling (Mukhtar won and got cut of his family and mosque even though he gave money to make the building better)
- Give 2.5% of their money to charity each year, Zakat, 5 pillars of Islam
- Intrest free loans should help each other out. Believe you shouldn't make a profit on others debt
- Wealth is a blessing from Allah
Poverty in the UK: Quotes
- "It is easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God"
- "Love your neighbour as you love yourself"
- "No-one can serve 2 masters. You cannot serve God and money"
- "The Love of money is the root of all kinds of evil"
- "Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did it for me"
- "Concerning wine and gambling, in them is great sin. The sin is greater than the profit"
- "Richness does not lie in the abundancve of worldly goods. True richness is the richness of the soul"
- "May Allah keep safety that believer is a hard-worker"