- Represent ordinary people.
- Ignorant of the outside word.
- Accept what they are shown represents modern dependancy on media.
- Afraid/Unable to accept change.
- Prisoners are trapped by their own ignorance.
- Plato believed the body traps the soul.
- Prisoners percieved reality is made of the shadows.
- Represent media and art that is created by artists.
- The puppeteers creating the shadows are the government + artists.
1 of 3
- The world of the Forms, truth, beauty, justice.
The prisoner must be dragged
- He cannot walk as he has been sat so long. (We as a modern society are lazy and accept what we are told as fact)
- The philosophic educator is the one dragging him.
- It is uphill to reach the light and the outside world, enlightenment is hardwork.
- Teaching change is hardwork.
- Absolute Good
- Illuminates the Forms
- All living beings depend on the Sun, therefore we all depend on 'the good'
2 of 3
- Gradually the prisoner learns to distinguish Forms from Images.
- He gains his sight as he has learnt the truth.
Prisoner's lack of sight on return
- The prisoner cannot see on his return to the cave, he's been dazzled by truth.
- He returns to englighten the other prisoners (job of philosophers).
3 of 3