We live in a world of appereances. The real world is the world of the forms.
A form is
- An idea of what something is
- They are unchaning- because they are a concept
- The form of the good is the best form
- At birth we have a very dim memory of forms so we know
1 of 2
- People chained- society, they are us. (We live in an illusionary world)
- Statues are the images of forms
- The people carrying them are the 'stupid philosophers?'
- Freedom is forced on the prisoner
- The prisoner starts to see- distinguising forms from images
- Prisoner sees sun- form of the good
- Prisoner feels obliged to go and teach others, but they laugh at him
- It raises the question- who should rule society?
- Forms can only just be ideas in our mind!
- It's like passing on ideas, if you die they die unless you pass them on. Richard Dawkins 'selfish gene' idea of 'memes'
- Are their forms of strange things, are there forms of deoderant?
- Plato only talks about concepts
- Forms can not be proved
2 of 2