Scalar and Vectors
· What is the difference between a scalar and a vector quantity?
· State a common scalar quantity
· State a common vector quantity
· What is the formula for Pythagoras?
· When adding vectors together, what must you make sure they are?
Equations of Motion
· What does uniform acceleration mean?
· What are the four equations of motion?
· When do these equations only apply?
· What is the formula for acceleration?
Newton's Laws Of Motion
· State Newton’s 1st Law
· State Newton’s 2nd Law and what is the equation?
· Do all objects fall at the same rate?
· State Newton’s 3rd Law
Weight, Mass and the Centre of Gravity
· What is the equation for finding the weight of an object?
· What is the equation for gravitational field strength?
· What is Density?
· What is the equation for Density?
· What unit is Density measured in?
· When will an object be stable?
· If a body is in equilibrium, the forces must be...?
· What do free body force diagrams show?
· What is the equation for finding the vertical force? Horizontal force?
· When is work done?
· What is the equation for finding work done?
· What does the equation assume?
· When do you use vertical and horizontal components when solving work done?
· When work is done against a gravitational force what do you get?
· When work is done against friction what do you get?
· What is the definition of a Joule?
· What is the definition of Power?
· What are the two equations for solving Power?
· What is the definition of a Watt?
· What equation would you use if the force and motion of an object were acting in different directions?
Mechanics in the Real World
· What is the equation for Stopping Distance?
· What is the equation for Thinking Distance?
· What are the three main things Car safety features are designed to do?
· What is the only force acting on projectiles?
Conservation of Energy
· What is the principle of conservation of energy?
· What is the equation to work out kinetic energy?
· What are the two equations that can be used to work out gravitational potential energy?
· What is the equation to work out elastic potential energy?
· What is the definition for Hookes Law?
· In relation to springs, what does tensile mean? Compressive?
· What will a graph look like if Hookes Law is being obeyed?
· Where on a graph is the Elastic Limit?
· What does elastic mean? Plastic?
· What is the equation for Youngs Modulus?
· From a Stress against Strain graph how would you work out Youngs Modulus?
· Which part of the graph will give you the stored energy?
Stress and Strain
· What is the equation for Stress?
· What is the equation for Strain?
· What is the definition for the breaking stress of a material?
· What is the definition for the ultimate tensile stress of a material?
· What is Elastic strain energy and how would you find it using a graph?
Behaviour of solids
· What is the definition for:
· What is the Yield Point of a material?
· What does the gradient of a velocity-time graph give you?
· What does the area under the graph represent?
· If the velocity-time graph is curved what does this tell you?
· If the Displacement-Time graph is curved what does this tell you?
· If the graph has a steep gradient is the acceleration smaller or bigger?
· What does the gradient tell you?
· What is the equation for velocity?
Streamlines and Flow
· What is streamline flow?
· What is turbulent flow?
· What is an eddy current?
· What is the definition for viscous drag?
· If the viscosity of a fluid is high, what is the rate of flow?
· What will happen to the viscosity of a fluid if the temperature increases?
· What is the equation for the rate of flow?
· What is the equation for Stokes Law?