- Created by: MollieHall13
- Created on: 29-06-17 19:14
- Groundwater stored underground in pore spaces, at depth of 4000m.
- found in borehole in Kola Peninsula, Northern Russia at depth of 13m.
Water table holds pore spaces/ fractures where water is stored, it's recharged and is then flowed back onto surface, it's recharged and is then flowed back onto surface. It's extracted for agricultural use in dry areas.
Soil water is held together with air in unsaturated upper weathered layers of Earth.
Biological water consists of water in biomass. It varies on amounts of vegetation around world. The value of animals transporting water is minimal.
- Describes water on Earth.
- Water is stored in many ways, E.G. Atmosphere, Oceans, Lakes, Rivers, Soils, Glaciers and Groundwater.
- General agreement that there is 1.338 x10 9 km of water in Hydrosphere.
- 1% of freshwater is able to be found and used. The other 2% is locked in snow and ice caps.
- Frozen part of Earth system, in the form of ice/snow, ice sheets, glaciers and permafrost regions.
- Ice shelves mostly exist in Antarctica and Greenland, Arctic, Canada,
- and Alaska.
- Icebergs raise sea levels only when they first leave land and push into water and not once they melt.
- Exists in all 3 states.
- Most common water exists as a gas; water vapour.
- Water vapor absorbs, reflects and scatters incoming solar radiation.
- Increase in water vapour leads to increase in temperature.
- Cold air can't hold as much water vapour as warm air.
- Cloud= visible mass of water droplets/ ice crystals suspended in atmosphere.
- Cloud droplets grow and fall as rain.