General and specific risks
General Risk = Can be associated with a wide range of sports, e.g pulling a muscle or spraining your ankle
Activity Related Risk = Only associated with a particular sport, e.g being hit with a hockey stick in hockey.
Reducing risks through personal readiness
1. Complete a PAR-Q = Identifies any personal health risks, therefore allowing you to limit participation when needed.
2. Allow recovery time = To prevent over-use injury.
3. Warm Up = To prevent Injury.
4. Use the correct clothing = Added protection, e.g Shin pads.
5. Obey the rules of the game = To stop injury to yourself and others.
Reducing risks through other measures
1. Make sure the competition is balanced = Don't have a 25 year old vs an 11 year old in Judo.
2. Check the equipment
3. Check the facilities = The environment the game is being played in is clear and obstacle free.