What is God like?
Personal God- refers to God as a person (Divine person) who you could talk to as a friend with human emotions through prayer.
Omnipresent- means God is everywhere at once. But how can a personal God be everywhere at once!?
Impersonal God- refers to God as a concept, a force e.g. light or an idea e.g. The prime number theory that God cannot be divided or reduced. But can you have a personal relationship with a force or idea!?
Where is God?
Immanent- refers to a God in the world with us and takes an active role e.g. human history. But an immanent God may seem small and fallible!
Transcendent- refers to a God that is outside the world and does not directly act in human history. But doesn't this make God seem remote and separate from our experience on earth!?
How many Gods are there?
Monotheism- is believing in one God e.g Christians.
Polytheism- is the belief in more than one God.
Beliefs about God
Omnipotent- all powerful
Omniscient- all knowing
The Trinity- the belief that God exists in three persons: Father (transcendent), Son (immanent and personal) and Holy spirit (immanent yet impersonal).
"We believe in God the Father... Jesus Christ the son of God... We believe in the Holy Spirit... who proceeds from the Father and Son".
Reasons for belief
- Upbringing (religious parents)
- Search for meaning
- Miracles and the power of prayer.
- Cosmological argument- Thomas Aquinas said that everything has a cause and affect but God is the only uncaused cause.
- Design argument- intricate things like the universe can't have come about by chance.
- William Paley's watchmaker theory something as intricate as a watch has a watchmaker, it wasn't made by chance.
Miracles- when something extraordinary happens that can not be explained by science.
Jesus performed miracles:
- Feeding the 5000
- Walking on water
God performed miracles as well in the Bible:
- Birth of Jesus
- Resurrection of Jesus
- And many believe miracles still happen today