- Created by: Claudia27Rose
- Created on: 12-07-14 20:59
Describe the story :-
A servant girl of one of the high priests came out and saw Peter, and said to him, “you were also with that Nazarene Jesus”, yet he denied it. When the servant girl saw Peter again, she said, with others standing around “this fellow is one of them”, yet he still denied it. People said to him “surely you are one of them, you are Galilean”. Peter started to curse them and said “I don’t know this man you are talking about”. The rooster crowed the second time, Peter remembered when Jesus had spoken to him, “before the rooster crows twice you will disown me three times”. After this he broke down and wept.
Explain how the problems of discipleship are shown in Peter’s denial :-
- Peter denied knowing Jesus because he was scared of being arrested himself. “I don’t know or understand what you’re talking about”
- Peter doesn’t have enough faith.
- Peter cannot keep promises. “I will never desert you”
- Peter did not live up to Jesus’ expectations and stands in stark contrast to Jesus.
- The fact that Peter was cursing the crowd probably means that he invoked a curse on himself if he was lying.