- Created by: samjackson07
- Created on: 05-06-17 20:13
Aims of the league
- To stop wars.
- To encourage disarmament.
- To make the world a better place by improving people's working conditions and by tackling disease.
1 of 4
Organisation of the league
- An assembly, which met once a year.
- A council, which met more regularly to consider crises.
- A small secretariat to handle the paperwork.
- A Court of International Justice.
- A number of committees such as the International Labour Organisation and the Health Committee to carry out its humanitarian work.
2 of 4
Main strengths of the league
- It was set up by the Treaty of Versailles, which every nation had signed.
- It had 58 nations as members by the 1930s.
- To enforce its will, it could offer arbitration through the Court of International Justice, or apply trade sanctions against countries that went to war.
3 of 4
- It was set up by the Treaty of Versailles (which every nation hated).
- Its aims were too ambitious.
- Germany, Russia and the USA were not members.
- It had no army.
- Its organisation was cumbersome.
- Decisions had to be unanimous.
4 of 4