There are 3 different types of muscles...
1. Cardiac - heart
2. Involuntary - we don't have to make them work, they work altomatically.
3. Voluntary - attacted to the skeleton and are under your control.
Muscles in your...
- Bicep and Tricep
- Quadricep and Hamstring
- Latissmus Dorsi
- Gluteus Maximus
Muscles that work together...
There are 4 pairs of muscles in your body that work together...
1. Bicep and Tricep
2. Quadricep and Hamstring
3. Pectorals and Trapezius
4. Abdominals and Latissimus Dorsi
Muscles working together...
Agonist = this is the prime mover in a movement. For example in a bicep curl, the bicep is the agonist on the way up and the tricep is the agonist on the way down.
Agonistic Muscles = these are skeletal muscles that work in pairs.
Isotonic Contractions = this is where one muscle works while the other relaxes, the muscle changes length so something moves.
Isometric Contractions = this is where the muscle contracts but stays in a fixed position, the muscle stays the same length and nothing moves, e.g. the Plank position.
Immedicate effects of exercise on the muscular system...
1. Extra waste products are created.
2. The bodys demand for oxygen and glycogen increases.
3. If your body cannot work anymore it will produce lactic acid or cause cramping.
Long-term effects of exercise on the muscular system...
1. Muscles grow in strength and size
2. Hypertrophy happens (increased muscle size)
3. All muscles benefit from exercise.
Potential injuries to the muscular system could be...
Tendons = attatch muscles to two different bones.