What are the three main components of the circulat
- The heart
- Blood Vessles
What does the Pulmonary Circuit do?
The pulmonary circuit carries blood to the lungs to be oxygenated. In the lungs carbon dioxide is removed and oxygen is gained.
What happens in the systemic circuit?
Carries oxygenated blood around the body and returns de-oxygenated blood back to the heart.
What does blood carry?
Blood carries nutrients and waste.
What happens when the heart beats?
The blood is pumped to the heart and around the body.
What is cardiac output?
The amount of blood pumped in one minute.
How do you work out Cardiac output?
Heart rate x Stroke Volume = Cardiac output.
What is stroke volume?
The volume of blood pumped from the heart within each beat.
What are Arteries and what is there job?
- Carries oxygenated blood away from the heart (apart from the pulmonary artery which goes to the lungs)
- Have thick muscular walls
- Have small passageways for blood
- Contains blood under high pressure.
What are veins and what is their job?
- Carries de-oxygenated blood to the heart (apart from the pulmonary vein which goes from the lungs to the heart.
- Have thin walls
- Has larger passageways for blood
- Contains blood under low pressure
- Have valves to prevent blood flowing backwards.
What are Capillaries and what is their job?
- Found in muscles and lungs
- Microscopic - one cell thick
- Very low blood pressure
- Where gas exchange takes place
What is gas exchange?
Gas exchange passes through the capillaries wall and into the tissue, carbon dioxide passes from the tissues to the blood.
What are the four things blood does whilst exceris
- Transports nutrients and waste
- Delivers oxygen to the working muscles
- Remove heat
- Carries away lactic acid
Blood pressure increases when you...