- 1850s - French Scientist Louis Pasteur became interested in micro-organisms --> asked to find out why their vats of alcohol were going bad
- Discovered that a particular microorganism was growing
- Developed Germ Theory. 'Germinating micro-organisms were the cause'
- Killed harmful bacteria by boiling liquid
- 1860 French Academy of Science organise 'SPONTANEOUS GENERATION' competition.
- SPONTANEOUS GENERATION - that decaying matter creates living organisms
- Pasteur devised experimetns to prove his theories. 1861 - 'GERM THEORY' published
- Linking micro-organisms to disease - found particular organism causing silkworm disease.
Bacteria and Human Disease
- Pasteur = Scientist not Doctor
- So Robert Koch applied Pasteur's ideas to human diseases.