P2.1 Static electricity
- All atoms contain electrically charged particles called protons and electrons.
-Protons have a posotive charge and are found in the nucleus of atoms.
- the elctrons move around the nuclus of the elctron.
- Atom has no overall charge = posotive charges on the protons, balanced by negative charges on electrons.
-nucleus also contains neutrons, which have no charge.
- An insulator can be charged by friciton, through the transfer of electrons.
- the material gaining electrons becomes negativley charged. material loosing electrons is left with and equal posotive charge.
-like charges repel, unlike charges attract.