- Created by: Sabrina Ahmed
- Created on: 13-12-12 16:26
What have media companies become?
- Media companies have become more and more transnational
- Transnational means that media compnaies operate in countries all over the world
- The ownership of the mass media has increasingly concentrated into fewer and fewer transnational corporations
1 of 7
What is the effect of transnational corporations?
- 9 out of 10 of the biggest companies are American owned
- The concern is that these giant corporations will buy out smaller companies over the world and undermine other cultures
2 of 7
Other developments in media ownership
- Rupert Murdock's New Corporation has broadened from newspapers to televison, broadcasting, cinema and publishing
- This cross media ownership has produced media conglomerates
- Cross media is when a company owns a range of media forms such as TV and newspapers
- Media conglomerates is an organisation who owns a number of companies in various mass media such as TV, radio, publishing and film
3 of 7
What is vertical intergration?
- Media companies may diversify into non - media
- An example would be the Disney - branched into theme parks, toys etc
4 of 7
What has media conglomerates increased?
- Media conglomerates have increased the pace of vertical intergration
- Vertical intergration is where media companies control every stage in the production of media content
- Example of vertical intergration is a film production company, who may also own transport and distribution companies and a cinema
- They are controlling the shooting of the film, to the showing and then even selling popcorn
5 of 7
What has digital technology done to the media?
- Digital technology has enabled media companies to diversify into a wider range of products and markets
- This is media intergration
- Example is Time Warner and AOL joining, Time Warner has gained an internet link and has remained one of the most powerful corporation in the world
- Example is Virgin and BT providing TV and FILM on demand
- Example is mobile phones which also have cameras, TV and internet
6 of 7
- Media intergration is known as synergy
- Synergy is the intergration of different media forms this has allowed the following:
- Media products before were seperate now they can be packaged, for example when you buy Harry Potter DVD, you can get the toys, playstaion game and action figures aswell
- The ownership of the companies who used create these goods are now in the hands of one corporation
- Disney for example can use its DVD to promote its other film and toys
This is known as intracorporate cross- promotion
7 of 7