1) Long Term Causes
During ancien regime, there were a number of deep-rooted problems that affected successive royal governments. These problems influenced:
- the way France was governed, practicularly the taxation system.
- the carefully ordered yet deeply divided structure of French society.
- the gradual spread of ideas which started to challenge this structure.
1 of 2
1) a. The structure of royal government
- ABSOLUTE MONARCHY - before 1789 - POWER ABSOLUTE
- Ruled by the Bourbons
- King was responsible only to God and answerable to no one on Earth
- System of government known as ABSOLUTISM
- Personality and character of ruler is very important as it sets the tone for the style of government.
Limitations to power:
- Kings were still bound by the laws and customs.
- many independent bodies - Assembly of the Clergy, had rights and priveleges guarenteed by law. - King could not interfere with these.
- He also had to consult his council of ministers and advisers to make laws. Most important: Controller-General, in charge of royal finances.
2 of 2
Similar History resources: