- Created by: Alpha_Alexo
- Created on: 07-02-18 18:19
Ores & Extraction
Very unreactive metals are found in their natural states. More reactive metals have reacted with other elements to form compounds in rocks.
The process of obtaining a metal from a compound is extraction.
Ways of extracting metals:
Heating an ore with Carbon:
- Used if the metal being extracted is under Carbon in the reactivity series.
- The carbon displaces the metal.
- Iron Oxide + Carbon ---) Iron + Carbon Dioxide
Electrolysis of a molten compound:
- Used if the metal being extracted is higher than Carbon in the reactivity series.
- Decomposes the compound.
- Aluminium ---) Aluminium + Oxygen
Ores & Extraction - Advanced
Advanced ways of extracting metals:
Bioleaching - Using bacteria to extract metals from their ores. Produces solution with metal ions.
Bioleaching uses bacteria on low grade ore. The bacteria produce a solution containing copper ions, called a leachate. Copper is extracted from leachate by displacement using scrap iron, then purified by electrolysis.
This method can also be used to extract Nickel, Cobalt and Zinc.
Phytoextraction - Using plants to extract metals by absorbing the compounds.
Phytoextraction involves growing plants that absorb metal compounds. The plants are burnt to form ash, from which the metal is extracted.