Internet: A huge network linking all computers throughout the world using a TCP/IP Protocol so that they can communicate and send data to eachother.
Selecting an ISP, things to consider:
- Download Limits
- Email and Web Space
- Relability and Support
- Email, Access using any device
- IM, Talking in real time & helps communication
- Blogs, Shared online diaries, share experiences, Twitter is a microblog
- Social Networking, websites that allow chat, messaging, email, groups, and file sharing
- VoIP, Need fast internet connection (eg Skype)
- Online Albums, Photo albums hosted on a website, Allows sharing and backup of photos
Internet Use in Business and Learning
- Email - Aid Collaberation, Possibility of Over-Reliance or Misuse
- Cloud Computing - Dont need to buy multiple softwarre licences, Security Issues
- Video Conferencing - Reduces travel, Dont comminicate as well when not face to face
Learning on the Internet:
- VLE - Students can access resources, Need an internet connection
- User Generated Websites (WIKIS) - Draws together lots of knowledge, Inaccurate or biased
- Email, IM, VoIP - Improved & quicker communication, Possible over-reliance / use
- News Websites - Can use RSS Feeds, Search to find old stories, Over-reliance on news websites rather than using a number of other websites
Usernames and Passwords used to authenticate identity
Security Questions are challenge response tests
Proving you are human: Captcha. Checks the form isn't being completed by a bot. There is no software which can read them and enter them. They protect systems vulnerable to email spam.
Types of Personal Spaces:
- Personal Websites
- Online Photo Albums
- Social Network Sites
You can add Photos, Personal Info, Text and Links, Like and Dislike, News Feeds.
Control who has access:
- Make albums Private
- Dont't Befriend everyone
- Check Privacy Settings
- Think before sharing online.
Overt Data: You know the data is being collected
Check sites are secure by checking the Https and Padlock
- Trojans record key strokes or take pictures of the screen
- Hackers use this to find out personal or financial details and use it to commit fraud
Identity Theft allows people to open bank accounts or apply for loans, credit cards, passports or driving licenses in other peoples names.
The government sells personal details you give to tax your car through the DVLA to private companies.
1. Contolling cookies
- Set Browers to reject certain cookies and delete all cookies from the browser.
- Emails (from banks)
- Look out for: Impersonal greeting, threat, URL that doesn't take you to the bank, request for personal info
3. Preventing Spyware
- Use a firewall to prevent spyware being remotely downloaded
- Install antispyware protection software
- Be wary when downloading 'free' files
- Surf and download safely
- Only download programmes and websites you trust
- Read all security warnings, licence agreements and privacy statements
- Never click 'Agree' or 'OK' to close windows, use the red cross.
Data Protection Act 1998
Companies holding our data are required by law
- to keep it secure
- Not ask for more data than necessary
- Not keep data longer than necassary
- To keep data accurate and up to date
- Not use data for any other purpose without consent
Your Data Protection Rights
1. You have the right to look at and check any personal data an organisation holds about you. You can be charged to access this data.
2. You can demand for incorrect information to be amended.
3. You can demand that data is not used in any way that could harm or distress you.
4. You can demand your data is not used for direct marketing.
Protects original work from being used without their permisson.
Copyright owners can use Creative Commons licenses to allow certain uses of their work, eg educational.
Consequences of illegal file sharing:
- Can be prosecuted
- ISP may prevent you from using the internet
- Could be sent to prison
- Has a huge impact on the music and film industries
- Sharing videos or music over the internet
- Copying and distributing copyright files
- Pretending someones elses work is your own