e-Commerce & Online Accounts
- Consumers can shop 24/7 - increased opportunity for sales and profits
- High street shops not necessarily needed - could lead to loss of jobs
- No shop - company doesn't have to pay for utility bills, staff wages - profits increased
- Different types of jobs created (e.g. Web designers)
- Wider range of goods available
- Challenge (Captcha) Test: asks use to copy in a piece of hard to read text - prevents spam because computers cannot read the text.
- Verification: Asking users to enter data twice to check it is correct
- Validation: Drop down lists limit the data that can be entered in that field
Entering personal data to register onto a website
Personal Spaces & Profiling
Personal space - contains data about user that they have entered. other users can then view this. Usually moderated for bad language/inappropriate behaviour. Allows users to send messages and share files (e.g. social media).
- Allows user to record their personal details online
- Forums and social networking sites use profiles. Can be public or private.
Data Protection Act 1988:
See Legislation revision cards