Identify and briefly explain one reason why people
One mark for an appropriate reason identified such as:
• religion may be linked to cultural defence
• the practice may be apparent, not real.
Two further marks for a satisfactory explanation such as:
• Religion may provide community functions: religious organisations may have significance in the community to provide social network functions. E.g. reinforcing the identity of a community.
• People may have religious belief as something carried over from a previous culture: research from sociologists such as Herberg has shown that for some newly immigrant groups maintaining their existing religion are an important element in their cultural life.
• Religious activity may be linked to the maintenance of a previous culture: people may return to old religious beliefs as part of discovering their heritage.