The story starts with George and Lennie getting ready to start their new jobs as ranch hands in Soledad. It ends in tragedy just 4 days later. The story is told in 3rd person so we have an unbiased and clear view of what happens throughout the story.
- The night before George and Lennie start their new jobs as ranch hands in Soledad, they camp in the brush by a pool.
- George finds Lennie petting a dead mouse in his pocket and complains that he prevents him from living a freer life.
- We then find out about what happened in Weed, Lennie was accused of attacking a girl because he wanted to feel her red dress, which led to George and Lennie loosing their jobs.
- We hear about their dream of owning their own land and realise that thy both depend on eachother.
- George and Lennie arrive at the ranch and are shown around by Candy
- They meet their boss and then his son, Curley. George is weary of Curley and warns Lennie to stay away from him
- George and Lennie see Curley's pretty and flirtatious wife and meet Slim and Carlson
- George tells Slim abou7t why he and Lennie travel together and explains about what happened in Weed
- The workers talk about Candy's dog and Carlson shoots it as an act of kindness but Candy is devastated
- George tells Candy about the dream and Candy offers to use his compensation money to join George and Lennie,this way they could get the land almost immediatley
- Curley provokes Lennie and they fight, ending in Lennie severly hurting Curley's hand
- Most of the ranchworkers go to a brothel while Lennie joins Crooks in his room
- They talk about land and Crooksis sceptical, he has seen many men with the same dream fail. However when Candy comes in Crooks is convinced and askes to join
- Curleys wife arrives, threatens Crooks and an arguemnet develops
- Crooks realises he cant ever really be part of the dream
- Lennie accidently kills the puppy that Slim gave him by petting it too hard
- Curley's wie joins Lennie and has a very open conversation with him
- She lets Lennie stroke her soft hair but he does it too strongly and she panics. Lennie ends up killing her too
- Lennie runs away to hide, like George told him to
- Candy finds the body and tells George. They tell the rest of the ranch and Curley wants revenge
- Lennie hides in the brush by the pool, where the whole story started
- He dreams about his Aunt Clara and the rabbits he will tend with
- George when they get their land
- George finds Lennie and reassures him about their dream
- George shoots Lennie with Carlson's gun
- The other men find Geogre and assume he shot Lennie in self-defence. Only Slim understands why George shot Lennie and reassures him that he did the right thing