- 'small and quick, dark of face, with restless eyes and sharp, strong features'
- 'if i was alone i could live so easy'
- 'i seen the guys that go round on their own. that ain't no good. they dont have no fun. after a long time they get mean.'
- 'you keep away from Curley, Lennie'
- 'you neva oughta drink water when it ain't running'
- 'give it here!' lennie's closed hand slowly obeyed
1 of 7
- 'a huge man, shapeles of face... and he walked heavily... the way a bear drags his paws. his arms...hung loosely'
- Lennis dabbled his big paws in the water'
- 'come on George. tell me. please, george. like you done before'
- '[lennie] can put up more grain alone that most pairs can'
- 'he's so damn strong you know'
- 'sure he's jes' like a kid'
- 'i didnt want no trouble'
- 'i done a real bad thing...i shouldn't have did that. George'll be mad.'
- 'i get to tend the rabbits'
- 'i didnt forget... hide in the brush and wait for george'
2 of 7
- 'nice fella too. got a crooked back where a horse kicked him. the boss gives him hell when he's mad. but the stable buck dont give a damn about that. he reads a lot. got books in his room'
- 'crooks was a proud aloof man'
- 'a tattered dictionary and a mauled copy of the california civil code'
- 'thin, pain tightened lips'
- 'i aint wanted in the bunk house...'cause i'm black'
- 'i had enough... you got no rights comin' in a coloured man's room'
- 'Crooks reduced himself to nothing. there was no personality, no ego- nothing to arouse either like or dislike'
- 'nobody gets no heaven and nobody gets no land'
3 of 7
- 'tall, stoop shouldered old man'
- 'the old swamper'
- 'the swamper warmed to his gossip'
- 'i aint much good with only one hand. i lost my hand right here on this ranch. that's why they give me a job swamping'
- 'he leaned forward eagerly. 's'pose i went in with you guys.'
4 of 7
- 'she had full, rouged lips and wide spaced eyes, heavily made up. her fingernails were red. her hair rung in little rolled clusters, like sausages'
- 'think i'm gonna stay in that two-by-four house and listen how Curley's gonna lead with his left twice, and then bring in ol' right cross'
- 'you know what i can do to you if you open your trap?'
- 'he says he was gonna put me in the movies'
- 'she was very pretty and simple, and her face was sweet and young'
- she said 'playfully'
- ' she put her hands on her back and leaned against the door frame so that her body was thrown forward'
- the rectange on sunshine in the doorway was cut off'
- 'dont even take a look at that *****'
5 of 7
- 'he hates big guys. he's alla time picking scraps with big guys. kind of like he's mad at 'em because he aint a big guy'
- 'curley says he's keeping his hand soft for his wife'
- 'lennie squirmed up the look and shifted his feet nervously'
- 'his arms gradually bent at the elbows and his hands closed into fists'
- 'won't ever get canned 'cause his old man's the boss'
6 of 7
- 'God like eyes'
- 'moved with majesty' and moves 'like a temple dancer'
- 'understanding beyond thought'
- 'he ain't mean... i can see Lennie aint a bit mean'
- 'there was gravity in his manner'
- slim came directly to George and sat down beside him, sat very close to him
7 of 7