in the first chapter there are.......
- contrasting and conflicting characters
- hints of a dark and differnt past
- two people braced for an uncertain futuer.
1 of 6
Overiew of chapter one...
- George and Lennie arrive at a pool of the shallins river in California. were both of them are described to us.
- george find that lennie has a dead mouse in his pocket that he has been petting.
- the ''bad thing'' in weed is mentioned
- George and Lennie talk about getting a farm of their own with rabbits which will let them ''live of the fatta of the land''. this is THE DREAM.
2 of 6
George and Lennies relashonship
- George leads the way. Lennie willingly copies him.
- both very different: George is small-featured and slim. Lennie is bulky and is always referred to as an animal. e.g:
''dragging his feer a little, the way a bear drags his paws''
''snotting into the water like a horse''
''behaves like a trerrier''
- they have a secret about the ''bad thing'' Lennie done in weed.
3 of 6
George and Lennies relashonship contuied..
- Lennie keeps asking George loads of questions he is like a demanding child.
- George is irritated by the questions- like a harassed and impatient parent.
4 of 6
- George talks about their plans- they'll have a small farm together with animals and crops.
- Lennie wants to look after the rabbits.
- they all ways tallk about it.
5 of 6
beans and ketchup
could be used as a metaphor for all work and function and no luxury or fun.
6 of 6