FAILURES OF THE LEAGUE
VILNA 1920 - claimed by Lithuania and Poland, Poland asked to leave but refused.
CORFU 1923 - Mussolini occupied as compensation, Greece pressured into acceptance so apologised to make Mussolini leave
MEMEL 1923 - Lithuania claimed after Vilna, refused to leave
THE RUHR 1923 - France occupied Germany industry heartland due to slow reparations. Caused Germany to pay more in long term. France only withdrew 1925 because of Dawes Plan
SUCCESSES OF THE LEAGUE
KELLOGG-BRIAND PACT 1928 - Countries signed to declare war as an option out of bounds.
AUSTRIA-HUNGARY 1922-23 - Bankruptcy was avoided by international loans and management of economy via League commisions
BULGARIA 1925 - Greece-Bulgaria border disputed resulted in Greek invasion. Greece condemned and withdrew.
AALAND ISLANDS 1921 - Finland and Sweden, Finland should have them and it was accepted
MOSIL 1924 - Belonged to Turkey but went to British Iraq, was acccepted
SILISIA 1921 - plebiscite area, between Poland and German. Most land to Poland but most industry to Germany
HEALTH COMMITTEE - helped prevent disease like leprosy and malaria
INTERNATIONAL LABOUR ORG - improved working conditions, hours and rights for children and women
SLAVERY COMMISSIONS - stopped Ethiopian slavery, saved slaves in Sierra Leone, stopped slave raids and began records for trafficking
COMMISSION OF REFUGEES - freed 3 million ex-prisoners of war and establish Turkish refugee camps
DEPRESSION (end of league pt.1)
EXTREMISTS willing to support anyone who offered solutions
SANCTIONS no trade or money availible to sanction
SELF INTEREST own country first
AIMS harder to improve lives
MANCHURIA (end of league pt.2)
Japan had been in Manchuria since the 20's but by 1931 China was stronger and Japan feared rebellion and China's request for Japan to leave.
Japan wanted Manchuria's fertile lands especially since their army was already based there.
Sept 1932, Japan blew up Southern Manchuria Railway claiming it was China
Japanese took over Manchuria by 1932
Lytton sent by League in 1932 to return a year later claiming Japan was wrong however Japan only withdrew from the League
DISARMAMENT (end of league pt.3)
JULY 1932 Germany proposed everyone decrease their armies to Germany's size or allowe Germany to increase. Ignored. Germany walked out
DECEMBER 1932 Condescending letter from Britain to Germany it ****** them off
FEBRUARY 1933 Hitler becomes Chancellor and secretly reforms #YOLO
OCTOBER 1933 Hitler withdrew from the Conference and then the League
WHY IT FAILED?
1) no one was serious
2) Britain and France were divided
3) Britain dislike Treaty of Versailles
4) Anglo-German naval treaty
Abyssinia (end of league pt.4)
After dispute at Wal Wal Oasis between Ethopians and Italians, Mussolini demanded an apology and readied his army.
Emprorer Hailee Selasse asked for help
Originally ignored but after Hitler invaided began to discuss punishments.
Sanctions were debated on so much Mussolini was able to stockpile weapons and Suez Canal wasn't closed so oil could be imported along with supplies.
HITLER'S FORGEIN POLICY
1) DISARMAMENT CONFERENCE october 1933
2) THE SAAR PLEBISCITE january 1935
3) GERMAN REARMAMENT march 1935
4) ANGLO-GERMAN NAVAL TREATY june 1935
5) REOCCUPATION OF THE RHINELAND march 1936
6) ROME-BERLIN AXIS 1936
7) ANTI-COMNITERN PACT
8) ANSCHLUSS march 1938
9) CZECHOSLOVAKIA 1938
10) MUNICH september 1938
- Sympathy for Germany
- Desire for peace
- Time to rearm
- Threat of Communism
- Appeasers misjudged Hitler
- Appeasement was morally wrong
- Appeasers missed chances to stop Hitler
WHAT IT IMPLIED
- Hitler and Stalin agreed not to fight each other
- Secretly agreed to split Poland apart
- Hitler gave Stalin Romania, Lativia, Estonia and Lithuania
- Prevented British and French alliances with USSR
- Stopped Eastern attacks on Germany
WHAT IT CAUSED
- 25th August 1939, Britain signed an alliance with Poland
- Germany invaided Poland 1st September for Danzig and Polish Corridoor
- 3rd September a ultimatum was sent declaring war by 11am
- Britain and France were forced into war