Process of Radiation
- The nuclei of radioactive substances are unstable. They bcome stable by radioactive decay. In this process, they emit radiation and turn into other elements.
- The three types of radiation emitted are: alpha radiation; beta radiation; gamma radiation.
- A radiaoactive substance contains unstable nucleithat becomes stable by emitting radiation.
1 of 3
- Unstable nuclei become stable by radioactive decay. In this process, they emit radiation and turn into other elements.
- We cannot predict when an unstable nucleus will decay. It is a random process and is not affected by external conditions.
2 of 3
- Background radiation is around us all the time. This is radiation from radioactive substances in the enviroment, from space, from devices such as X-ray tubes.
3 of 3