- Created by: Rosiem2102
- Created on: 07-06-18 16:26
- Acting as agent of another.
- Free to act according to conscience.
- Switching between the two - agentic shift.
- Allow individual to ignore the damaging effects of their obedient behaviour.
- Blass and Schmit found that people do blame the legitimate authority for the participant's behaviour.
A limited explanation
- Cannot explain why some of Milgram's participants disobeyed or the lack of moral strain in Hofling et al's nurses.
1 of 2
Legitimacy of Authority
Legitimacy of authority
- Created by hierarchical nature of society.
- Problems arise, e.g. Hitler.
- Explains obedience in different cultures because reflects different social hierarchies.
- The 'obedience alibi' revisited
- Real-life crimes of obedience
2 of 2