- Created by: faye
- Created on: 29-03-15 16:10
- From 1929 support for the Nazis rose steadily. In 1928 Numbers of Nazi members in the Reichstag was 12, in 1930 it was 107, in 1932 it was 230.
- He used Jews and the Weimar democrats as a scapegoat for Germany's problems.
- He hired a private plane to fly around Germany. He was the first politician to do this. Goebbels organised torchlight processions, rallies, radio broadcasts, films.
- Promised to scrap Treaty of Versailles and make their country great again.
- He was always backed up by large numbers of disciplined and uniformed followers. Gave the impression of toughness and knowing what was needed. It reminded people of the Kaiser.
- SA violence increased. They attacked Communists, which pleased middle class and business people. It also made the Weimar system look as though they couldn’t keep order.
- To businessmen he promised that he would control the Trade Unions and deal with the Communists. To workers he promised that he would provide jobs.
1 of 2
Hitler becomes Chancellor
- In 1932 Hitler stood in the presidential elections against Hindenburg. Hindenburg won 17 million votes, Hitler won 11 million. Hindenburg was angry that Hitler had dared to stand against him.
- In the July 1932 general election, the Nazis became the biggest party in Reichstag, but Hindenburg refused to appoint Hitler Chancellor. Franz von Papen became chancellor.
- Von Papen had poor support in Reichstag.
- In the November 1932 election, Nazis lost some support, but were still the biggest party in the Reichstag. Von Papen was replaced by General Kurt von Schleicher who had even less support and only lasted a month.
- Von Papen was furious that von Schleicher had taken his place. In January 1933, he suggested that Hindenburg appoint Hitler as chancellor, with von Papen as vice-chancellor in a coalition government. Von Papen thought he could control Hitler.
- Hindenburg agreed. On 31 January 1933 Hitler became chancellor of Germany. He led a coalition government, which included four Nazis.
2 of 2
Similar History resources: