- Have no shareholders and no owners, much like many building societies and mutual life assurance businesses.
- Exist soley for the best interests of members: the customers.
- Nationwide is a building society and is 'proud to be different' because they have no shareholders pressuring them for profits
1 of 2
- Many important organisations have charitable status eg. Greenpeace, Oxfam & Save The Children.
- Charitable status ensures that those who fund the business are not liable for any debts.
- Has significant tax benefits.
2 of 2