- Created by: nina Ilhan
- Created on: 09-12-18 13:16
- 25th April 2015, 7.9 Richter scale
- Destructive Collision plate margin - Indo-Australian collided with Eurasian Plate. No subduction.
- Shallow earthquake at 15km deep caused severe Shaking.
1 of 5
- Estimated US$5 billion.
- 9000 dead, 20000 injured, 8 million (1/3 population) affected and 3 million homeless.
- Loss of power, water and communication.
- 7000 schools and 50% of shops destroyed.
- 1.4 million needing food/ water/ shelter for weeks after.
- Congested airports as aid arrived.
2 of 5
- Severe ground shaking, landslides and avalanches, blocking roads and limiting aid.
- Mount Everest avalanches - 19 dead.
- Damage as far as India, Tibet and Pakistan.
- Avalanche blocked river Kali Gandaki - evacution die to flood risk.
- Langtang avalanche 250 people missing.
3 of 5
- Search and rescue teams, water and medical support arrived from countries such as UK, India and China.
- Half a million tents needed to provide shelter for the homeless.
- Financial aid pledged by many countries.
- Costed half their GDP to recover.
- 7% of unepmloyment was in tourism.
4 of 5
Long term responses
- Stricter controls on building codes.
- Thousands of homeless people to be re-housed, and damaged houses repaired.
- Roads repaired and landslides cleared.
- Lakes formed by landslides dammingriver valleys, need to be emptied to avoid flooding.
5 of 5